This week has been a frustrating week all because of the flu. When the week began I made a list of all the goals I wanted to accomplish and it was a full week. There were many conversations I wanted to have with students, meetings to attend, ministry to be done. Then the flu came and interrupted all of that...Arrrggghhhh. So for most of the week I have been resigned to life on the couch and sleeping most of the day in attempts to rest my body and my immune system. This has been frustrating because there was so much I wanted to do this week. There are several guys who I have been sharing the gospel with and last week had really significant conversations, so I was excited about seeing these guys and following up those conversations. I felt frustrated that I would not be able to have those conversations with them this week. But in the midst of my frustration, I think God reminded me of something. It is not me who works in their lives. It is God and God alone. God delights in using me, but he doesn't need me to change people's lives or to develop people spiritually. But I think I believe subconsciously that God needs me. It has been a humbling week to realize I have this false mindset yet at the same time it has been a freeing week, liberating myself from my own self-suffiency. Who knew I could be reminded of such truth from the flu?
Friday, February 08, 2008
A Lesson from the Flu
This week has been a frustrating week all because of the flu. When the week began I made a list of all the goals I wanted to accomplish and it was a full week. There were many conversations I wanted to have with students, meetings to attend, ministry to be done. Then the flu came and interrupted all of that...Arrrggghhhh. So for most of the week I have been resigned to life on the couch and sleeping most of the day in attempts to rest my body and my immune system. This has been frustrating because there was so much I wanted to do this week. There are several guys who I have been sharing the gospel with and last week had really significant conversations, so I was excited about seeing these guys and following up those conversations. I felt frustrated that I would not be able to have those conversations with them this week. But in the midst of my frustration, I think God reminded me of something. It is not me who works in their lives. It is God and God alone. God delights in using me, but he doesn't need me to change people's lives or to develop people spiritually. But I think I believe subconsciously that God needs me. It has been a humbling week to realize I have this false mindset yet at the same time it has been a freeing week, liberating myself from my own self-suffiency. Who knew I could be reminded of such truth from the flu?
Posted by The Arrowoods at 4:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment