Today definitely topped all parenting embarasement thus far. I took both kids to the library this morning and we were picking out a DVD for Krieg to take home. While I was browsing, he disobeyed me three times in a row, and I had warned him that if he did it again, he wouldn't get to take a DVD home. Well, naturally, in his rebellious 2 year old manner, he looked at me and did it again. So, no DVD for him. Enter- massive screaming tantrum- in the small, quiet library. I was not about to give in, since we are in a serious battle of authority these days at our house. So, what else was I going to do, but try to carry him out to the car to go home- with Karis in my other arm, no less. Oh if you could have only seen it. He was flailing, hitting me, trying as hard as he could to get down while I am trying desperately to hold on to him. I finally get him out of the door after a few attempts, get to my car, and realize my keys are in the diaper bag. So, holding Karis, I set him down and he tries to dart across the parking lot back to the library (still screaming). I almost tackle him to restrain him, not once, but 3 times. What in the world am I going to do??? Finally an older lady comes over and offers to hold Karis for me, as I obviously have no control right now. I was SO thankful for her!! I get him into the car and we go home, no DVD, and serious discipline awaiting him at home. Phew. I think I will go back to the library and apologize tomorrow!
I write this though as a reminder to myself of how often I act like this with the Lord.
How often am I just like Krieg, choosing to disobey my heavenly Father, thinking that he isn't really serious, that there really won't be consequences for my disobedience. Then when there are consequences, I whine, complain, throw a fit. And how often do I not trust my Father's commands, more than anything b/c I am prideful and want to do things on my own, not submit to someone else's rules. Yet does my Father not know what's good for me? Is He not always trying to protect me? Oh, if I would only listen to his heart of love toward me and trust him. Father, thank you that sometimes you do just as I did to Krieg and restrain me, kicking and screaming, and don't let me run into danger. Thank you for being a loving dad who protects me, even when I don't want to obey you and am to blinded by my own sin to really trust you.
I write this though as a reminder to myself of how often I act like this with the Lord.
How often am I just like Krieg, choosing to disobey my heavenly Father, thinking that he isn't really serious, that there really won't be consequences for my disobedience. Then when there are consequences, I whine, complain, throw a fit. And how often do I not trust my Father's commands, more than anything b/c I am prideful and want to do things on my own, not submit to someone else's rules. Yet does my Father not know what's good for me? Is He not always trying to protect me? Oh, if I would only listen to his heart of love toward me and trust him. Father, thank you that sometimes you do just as I did to Krieg and restrain me, kicking and screaming, and don't let me run into danger. Thank you for being a loving dad who protects me, even when I don't want to obey you and am to blinded by my own sin to really trust you.
So innocent looking!
3 comments:
Amen! This is how many of our days go--someone screaming in tantrums. I try to be patient, because you're right. Really I'm the one who runs away in disobedience. Hang in there!
Just so you know, the Holy Spirit just shot me in the heart with your blog post.
Courtney gave me this link some tima ago and I have totally enjoyed it.
This is one of the best, not only from the real life experience but more importantly from the lesson learned.
God bless you and your wonderful family!
Post a Comment