BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Lessons from a not-quite-crawler


Over the past few weeks, I have been watching Karis scream and cry just about anytime I put her on her stomach or leave her on the floor when she tips over onto her belly. (She is a little dramatic!) I have been purposefully letting her scream and leaving her a little longer than she would like, in hopes that one day she will finally figure out how to crawl. (Krieg never did, so I am trying extra hard with her.) Every time she does this, its like she's saying, "Mommy, don't you love me? Why are you leaving me here??" And every time I tell her, "Karis, you need to learn how to crawl. I promise you will be happier when you can."


Yesterday was one of those days that I just kept saying all day, this day just can't get any worse- but it kept getting worse. And all day my response was, "Lord, really? Why are you letting all this happen?" God graciously reminded me of Karis' drama on her tummy and why I allow her to struggle on the floor.


"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4


"We rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy spirit, whom he has given us." Romans 5:3-5


God is allowing, even ordaining my frustrating days to develop perseverance, character and hope in me. He is doing it because He loves me, and he knows there will be more joy for me after He has refined me. If only I would want spiritual maturity and godliness more than I would want easy days with my kids and things working smoothly in my house. But I'm thankful for a God who wants better for me than I want for myself sometimes!




1 comments:

Betsy said...

Thanks for the great analogy. Anna is in the almost-crawling stage too, so that's a great reminder for me as I watch her struggling on the floor. I definitely feel like I'm flailing on the floor some days too and it's helpful to remember my gracious Father who is saying "you'll be so much stronger when you learn this."