“Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church, of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God that was given to me for you, to make the word of God fully known, the mystery hidden for ages and generations but now revealed to his saints.”
In these passages I really see a glimpse into Paul’s mindset in ministry. I love these three verses because they reveal so much to me about what perspective someone in Christian ministry should have about the responsibilities entrusted to him or her. Upon my initial read through the things that standout to me are the following. Paul, do your really rejoice in sufferings? How do your sufferings benefit others? What is the deal with Christ’s afflictions lacking? Are they insufficient? Immediately it is these questions that grab my attention here. The seemingly most problematic one is whether or not Christ’s sufferings are insufficient. It seems like such heresy to say that Christ is lacking in his afflictions. Was not the afflictions of the cross enough? Of course they were sufficient for salvation, instead the lacking is referring to the presentation of the afflictions. The people Paul shares with and teaches never saw Christ and the sufferings he endured at the hand of Pilate. But Paul, in his own body, suffers afflictions and these people see that, and it is a glimpse into the afflictions that Christ also endured for them. This is exactly why Paul says that he is able to rejoice in them “for your sake.” He rejoices because Christ is being made known to others through his own suffering. It seems to most that this is an odd reason for rejoicing, but it is here that I see Paul’s perspective on his life and ministry very clearly. He holds above his own life and comfort the spiritual growth and vitality of other people. This is the heart of the ministry of Christ because he too sacrificed himself for the spiritual vitality of the world. Paul is humble, putting others needs before his own comforts. I see him as passionately and responsibly fighting for the lives of others because Christ did the same for him. This is what makes him rejoice in his sufferings for others. This is very challenging to me. I ask myself, “Is my perspective anywhere near this?” “Do I value the spiritual growth of others as more worthy goal than my own comfort?”
As I look further into this passage this mindset of Paul seems to become more evident. In verse 25 he says about the church that he “became a minister according to the stewardship from God that was given to me for you, to make the word fully known.” He regards his ministry really as Christ’s ministry and himself as a steward of it. Further his perspective is that God gave him this responsibility. He did not chose it or ask for it. God gave it to him. This implies several things when it comes to my perspective on my ministry. If God gave it to me, and I did not chose it, then God believes in me. He believes that I can fulfill the responsibilities he gives me. This motivates me and encourages me to think that God thinks I can do it. It makes me want to embrace these responsibilities and fulfill my role of stewardship well.
0 comments:
Post a Comment