“Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ. For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me.”
This morning I studied Colossians 1:28-29 with Caleb, a student from Western at the LP this summer. It was a great time to connect with one another personally in the word and to share my vision for him next year as a senior at Western. It was a great time because I want this verse to embody who he is as well as our other student leaders at Western. Here Paul imparts his vision and motivation for ministry to the Colossian church. “Christ we proclaim, warning everyone, and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ.” There are three aspects to Paul’s ministry highlighted in this passage. Evangelism is proclaiming Christ. Warning is admonishing believers. Teaching is explaining to believers who God is and what the gospel is. These are the things Paul does in his ministry, but even more importantly is why he does these things. He proclaims, warns, and teaches so that he can present everyone mature in Christ. What does it mean to be mature in Christ? I think the essence of maturity for the believer is character. It is not just doing the right things, but it is doing what pleases and honors God because it gives the mature person joy to honor God. So the essence of maturity is not behavior modification but founded character. I think this is highlighted by Christ’s words “if you love me you will follow my commandments.”
I believe the evidence of maturity in a Christian is love. The more one grows in maturity the more they will move away from defensiveness and pride and embrace loving service to others. The mature person forsakes his life and moves into the lives of others to heal and encourage growth. This is a selfless and loving act that defines the mature believer. This is the motivation for ministry for Paul. He wants to produce people who are mature in Christ so that they can heal and develop others spiritually thus advancing the kingdom of Christ for his glory.
It is for this end that Paul toils. He labors. He works diligently to produce these results. But again it is not his strength that works in him, it is God’s strength. This passage is very challenging to me in my ministry. What is my motive in evangelism and discipleship? Where do I look for my strength to come in ministry?
0 comments:
Post a Comment