BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, June 16, 2006

Colossians 1:9-10


It seems like Paul and Timothy are picking up their train of thought where they left off in verse 1, when they wrote, “We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, since the day we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love that you have for all the saints.” Now in verse 9, it continues again about what they pray for the Colossian Church. There are four observations to be made about their prayers for the Colossians Church.
The first is that they pray continually, “We have not ceased to pray for you.” Immediately this example from their lives convicts me. How many things do I pray for everyday and I am committed to praying for everyday. This reminds me of the men in Sig Ep and KA that I am praying for everyday. O’God, would you move in Kiser, Flo, Helwig, JK, and Yetti’s life in such a way that they would take you seriously as a God not to be trifled with and who is worthy of following. I pray that they would trust you with their lives enough to give up their lifestyle of sex, beer, and parties to enjoy you and glory in you. God, only you can change a man’s heart, please draw them near to you.
The second observation is that they pray for the Colossians to understand God’s will. Why? There is a connection in verse 10, “so as to…”, that points to the answer. “So as to walk in a manner worthy to the Lord…bearing fruit in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God.” So Paul and Timothy pray that they would understand God’s will so that they would walk in holiness because Christ is Holy. They pray they would know God’s will because that will result in bearing spiritual fruit. They pray they would know God’s will because that will lend to a deeper knowledge of God personally.
What does it mean to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him? God is a holy God. All throughout the Old Testament, we see the Holy one of Israel, or holy, holy, holy is the Lord of Hosts. Then in 1 Peter 1:16 we are told to be Holy as he is Holy. Therefore to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord is to pursue holiness. What areas of my life do I need to pursue more holiness. Remember that it is God’s will that I be sanctified, made more holy. (1 Thessalonians 4:3)
I have come to experience when I am bearing fruit spiritually is when I clearly see God’s will and am following it. This verse confirms the connection to us bearing fruit when following God’s will. I have seen this in knowing that it was God’s will for us to go work at Western with Campus Outreach and following through with his purpose for us he allowed us to bear fruit. The fruit was providing the house, deepening in our marriage, growing in boldness and courage to share the gospel, and seeing God work in the lives of students at Western

0 comments: